The SALENTO AVR 2015 will take place in the Monastery of the Olivetani, adjacent to the Church of Saints Nicolò and Cataldo.

The monastery was probably built between 1171 and 1174 for the order of Benedictine blacks. In 1559 was built the new cloister with double columns, which was enhanced by the addition of a well canopy supported by spiral Corinthian columns. This work was entrusted to Gabriele Riccardi. Of particular relevance are the traces of frescoes depicting episodes of monastic life.

The Monastery has been recently restored by the University of Salento in collaboration with the Municipal administration. Today the monastery houses part of the Department of Cultural Heritage and the Department of Historical Studies, sections of the Cultural Heritage Faculty of the University of Salento.


Department of Cultural Heritage – University of Salento
Monastery of the Olivetani
Viale San Nicola
73100 Lecce, Italy
phone 0832-296805


download map